Are you violating TCPA regulations? Did you know that you could be fined $500-1500 per unauthorized SMS (text message) sent to a recipient? TCPA (Telephone Consumer Privacy Act) rules and regulations have become very strict recently and the number of class action lawsuits are gaining momentum. Companies that are not following the TCPA guidelines have become subject to this and it only increases the importance of properly opting recipients in and out. Below is a list of a few of the current lawsuits that companies are facing when communicating via SMS.
- JP Morgan Chase Bank settled for $34 million due to sending SMS messages without prior consent
- Steve Madden settled for $10 million due to unsolicited SMS messages to recipients
- Papa John’s lawsuit seeks a $250 million settlement
- The Body Shop settlement entitles 225,000 customers totaling $5.6 million
- Coca-Cola is in an open class action lawsuit affecting hundreds of thousands of users at $1500 per unauthorized message sent
Here are the easy steps to protect you from frivolous lawsuits:
3. Disclose the terms and conditions related to your SMS campaign